Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Finally

Finally February 10, 2015 has arrived. My surgery is scheduled for 1:00 have to be at the hospital at 11:30.  I wake up get my girls to get them ready for school, while I start cleaning (have to keep my mind off food), I get all floors swept, mopped, bathrooms cleaned (love a clean house). Girls leave for the bus time to get a shower and things ready to leave for the hospital. Already to leave waiting on Dan to come home from work (he called he is on his way) when my phone rings (unknown number) i recognize this as the hospital (since I work for them)."Hello" yes Ms. York did you get your surgery time change um.... no... Yes it was changed to 11:15 OK.. why did no one call me... I will be there as soon as I can. I call Dan to let him know he says he is 5 minutes away so I quickly get everything ready and head outside to wait on him so we can leave as soon as he gets here. 

We arrive at the hospital and the front entrance is very busy so he drops me off and I go in to the surgery waiting area to wait. I get called back and it is prep time (feeling nervous now).  The nurse says please get undressed place all your things in the bag (OK I am ready is what I am thinking).  So your typical pre-op iv, 100 questions (that you have answered already 100 times), doctor comes in sees you, Anesthesiologist comes goes over your history yet again. Because I am late (not really because I was never told to be their earlier) everything seems rushed. Before I know it they are finalizing everything (I ask if I can see my husband before surgery). Dan comes back to see me and wow it is time to go back. The last thing I remember at this point is them telling my husband he can walk with us as they wheel me back (I don't know if he does because that is the last I remember).

Surgery went well I was told as I am now in my room and do not remember ever being in recovery or anywhere else.  I am in pain at this point but I have a pain pump to help with this.  Nothing to drink till the next morning after your leak test. Wow you do not realize how dry your mouth can get when you can't drink or eat. I a allowed to swab my mouth which i do often. I can't stay awake at all (after effects of all the drugs). Finally I get up for a walk (not sure about this i am so tired) Dan and the nurse walk with me (I hold on to Dan because again did I mention how tired I am) we make it back to my room and I take a nap (that walk was hard work but i did good). Finally it is time for Dan to go home and get the girls so he can do what he needs to with them. I sleep OK well I try to sleep every time I dose this alarm keeps going off (come to find out it is the alarm for my 02 stats which kept dropping) Finally they bring up my cpap and hook me up then i dose back off but no the alarms still keep going off. Finally they hook my cpap up to 02 and finally no alarm. At some point i was trying to get my nurse and my remote fell in the floor and I can't get her. (my feet are in compression boots, I have all these wires and I felt panicked (again lots of drugs in my system)) So finally I am able to barely reach the phone in my room and I call the operator to have my nurse come in.  Finally my nurse comes in we are able to get me all straighted up and the anxiety subsides after I call my family in tears of course.

Wednesday morning comes around and my nurse wants me up and walking so we take a stroll down the hall better than the day before.  Back in the room it is time to go down for the leak test. Leak test is fine (the stuff you have to drink is awful... did I say how bad the stuff was you have to drink).  Back in my room it is time to drink something because everything is fine. Again I still can't stay awake so tired haven't had any pain medicine at this point because I can't stay awake as it is.  Spend most of my day dosing and another stroll down the hall. Finally Doctor comes in and says I can go home or stay another night because I have been so sleepy and still not feeling the best but again no pain meds. Dan and I decide I am going to go home and best decision I was able to sleep through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment