Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What is like for a day in my sleeve?

A little history for those who don't know about the 4 stages of Bariatric surgery.
Stage 1 is pre-op diet liquid (pretty hard)
Stage 2 is post-op which is full liquid/pureed (getting a bit better)
Stage 3 which is suppose to start for me in just a few days is Soft Foods
Stage 4 is back to normal foods (of course you have to change your old habits or you will be right back to where you were, surgery is not a fix it is a tool)

So for me the last two weeks have gone like this:
Breakfast
1 egg with 1 tbsp of cheese (I love eggs so this is easy for me)
Snack 1
1 protein shake with 8 oz of skim milk which has 31 grams of protein

lunch (or snack)
3oz of refried beans with 1 tbsp of cheese 3grams of protein (I didn't like beans before surgery but let me tell you they taste good right now)

This is what a can of refried beans looks like broken down to 3 oz.

Snack 2
a Sugar free pudding (which takes care of the sweet tooth, but no protein)

Dinner
again 3oz of refried beans with 1tbsp of cheese 3 grams of protein (not much on pureed food so this has been my staple.
Snack 3
1 protein shake with 8oz of skim milk and 2 tbsp of PB2 for added flavor and protein. These shakes have 36grams of protein

And yes 48-64 oz of water a day. There is alot of drinking going on around here and no alchol involved...

I am ready to be able to chew my food again, i went to the grocery last night to start making some soft foods up and freezing them (because I start back to work Monday and I have to be there at 5:30 am so I won't feel like cooking and no McDonalds breakfast)

For now I am not to eat more than 2-3oz's at a time yes  that is not very much, so this is why I am to eat 4-6 small meals a day. I also need to get 60-80 grams of protein in a day, while I am still drinking protein shakes this is not hard but as we start introducing more foods and less protein shakes it does get alot harder.  So for now I am thankful for protein shakes.   Oh yes and I forgot to tell you about the 30-30-30 rule.   That is  you are not to drink 30 minutes before a meal, eat for 30 minutes (sorry can't stretch 3 oz over 30 minutes but definately take your time eating) and then don't drink for 30 minutes after you eat.   THIS IS HARD!!! But there is an app for your phone that has a timer to help you keep track so thankful for smartphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment